ISL study tours differentiate themselves from industrial tourism by a strong focus on deep level learning. Participants are active players in the meeting with host companies, and are encouraged to reflect on applications to their own organisations. See an article on deep learning from study tours.
Participant learnings on study tours include:
- How leadership practices and systems adopted by leading companies differ from those of less successful companies.
- Identify a range of important measures for organisational success that go beyond the traditional triple-bottom line.
- Learn to differentiate between honeybee and locust leadership practices and systems.
- Understand how the basic thinking about an enterprise differs in honeybee-led firms.
- Learn from senior managers of the host companies how these practices and systems deliver significant competitive advantage in the case of honeybee leadership and why they are self-destructive in the case of locust leadership.
- Understand how and why honeybee leadership makes organisations more resilient and delivers superior organisational outcomes over the long term.
- Understand why it is that honeybee organisations can outperform locust organisations in diverse national contexts and under different ownership structures.
- Why it is so difficult for locust managers to copy the honeybee leadership model.
- Gain a better understanding in how your own organisation differs from leading honeybee organisations.
- Reflect on opportunities for improvement.
- Improve your intercultural and global leadership skills through in-depth exposure to the Germanic cultures of Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
- In addition to learning about strategic leadership practices and systems, learn about high-performance HR practices, customer relationship management, managing intellectual property and knowledge, environmental and social responsibility, and innovation management.
- Develop connections and links to European organisations.
- Understand why countries that are more accepting of honeybee leadership consistently outperform countries that are more beholden to locust leadership – on a range of metrics.
Read past participants’ testimonials in this scrolling list: